Saturday, January 8, 2011

Coffee for rev heads

This morning Brian and I went for our Saturday morning coffee to a place in Newstead, Brisbane, called Blue Sky Coffee. From the outside it is most unprepossessing but as you step up to the front entrance you realise you are in for something a little different.


Not many places I know have cars and motorbikes parked in them and huge artworks on the walls. (I wonder if the owners make the wall space available for artists to exhibit their wares - it makes a fabulous venue.) The coffee was exceptional and the food looked fresh. Even better, the prices were very reasonable, $3 for a coffee, $4 for a muffin.

Being a car enthusiast, Brian thought it was the bee's buttocks because he could wander around looking at the vehicles. Meanwhile I liked the large tables to spread my weekend newspapers over.

I hope this venture is a success for the three owners: I love the idea that it is both a cafe and a coffee roasting premises, but I suspect they will need to get their beans out to a wider market for it to really work well. Definitely worth a visit.

The bean roasting takes place in a contraption at the back of the cafe space