Sunday, January 16, 2011

All washed up

I think everyone in Brisbane must be feeling like me: all washed up; wrung out and hung out - to dry. We have all discovered a lot about ourselves and about our community and city these last few days. Here are a few observations from my very fortunate perspective.

Ten bad things (not in any particular order):
  • terrible mayhem, tragic scenes, and sad stories;
  • livelihoods more than disrupted, but entirely obliterated - heartbreaking;
  • the rotten, all pervading, odour of decomposing vegetation and slime;
  • traffic jams to beat all traffic jams - I sat and watched the queues from my front deck - go home!
  • rubber neckers - get out of your cars and help why don’t you?
  • overwhelming tiredness from the upheaval and emotion;
  • a week of truly awful food, very little fresh vegetables, lots of comfort eating;
  • people in an undignified race to the milk section of the supermarket with avarice writ large across their faces;
  • the constant, relentless, unceasing, persistent news about Brisbane. I’d still like to know how the rest of the world is travelling please;
  • scared, terrified faces.
And ten good things:
  • no power, so family time by candlelight - we should play fiendish Sudoku more often!
  • solidarity;
  • ABC local radio;
  • looking like a mess and not caring - I am helping clean up here!
  • neighbours and communities coming together;
  • eating chocolate without feeling (too) guilty (that is all that was in the pantry - oh, you don’t believe me?);
  • the rise and rise of volunteerism (long may it last);
  • Anna Bligh and Campbell Newman (they are both public servants so I’ve lumped them together!);
  • the decline in materialism - “it is only stuff after all”;
  • taking time out from the clean up to go to the cinema with my daughter, just me and her!
Here are just a few more photos.
The edge of the flood, just across from our house

Broken dreams

The local school, under water

Sudoku by candlelight

Very fiendish!

It doesn't seem so very long ago we were lugging our grey water about the garden

Riverfront prime real estate

This is their second storey


The last of the chilled champagne