Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Op-shops and chocolate cake

One of the delightful things about being unemployed in the school holidays is I get more chance to “do stuff” with my girls.

My oldest was working today, so my 15-year-old Bohemian-in-Doc Martins and I decided we were going to have an op-shop morning. Because the other thing about being unemployed is that there is not a great deal of spare dosh to fling around. Op-shopping satisfies the shopping gene and the bargain hunting gene: and it is totally unpredictable - you never know what finds you will come home with.

When you are working full time, as I have done for many years, you don’t get much opportunity to “save money” because most op-shops, or at least the ones where the bargains are, only open Saturday mornings: which is the time when you are running around frantically trying to get jobs done in between ferrying children to and fro.

And another advantage to being unemployed and going op-shopping is the hubbie can’t complain too much about a $6 designer shirt!

So at 9am sharp we fronted at our first shop. I have never been there before, even though I am a seasoned op-shopper and it is close to where I live. And boy was it fabulous: I’ll definitely be going back! We both came away with some real treasures, not least a couple of leather handbags in mint condition for $7.50 and $10 respectively.

We visited three shops (sufficient unto the day!) and Annie got three tops, including one stunningly pretty powder blue number which, darn it, I couldn’t squeeze into, and some nice denim 3/4 pants with turned cuffs all for $25.

I bought my older daughter a neat little strapless Esprit dress, in new condition, $6! And I got a couple of tops including a Liz Claiborne shirt - beautiful quality - also only $6.

I think the smaller you are the more successful your op-shopping will be. There just seems to be so much more choice in smaller sizes.

I started frequenting op-shops about a year ago. I lost 56 kilos in nine months and it was the only way I could clothe myself affordably. And I became very good at sniffing out the labels and the quality vintage. I also became good at knowing which were the better op-shops to go to!

Today I bought a 1950s eau de nile green suit reminiscent of Chanel, in Egyptian cotton, so fine that it felt like silk. The skirt was far too small but the jacket was fantastic and will look great with a black skirt and stilettos.

After we had op-shopped the morning away we decided on a whim to head out to Samford Valley for a bite to eat. Annie has aspirations to run her own café/deli and I knew she would just love The Flying Nun in Samford. She loves baking and I wanted her to try the beetroot chocolate cake that they do there. It is moist and fudgy with just a hint of the beetroot taste and a very slightly maroon tinge to the cake. I think it would have to be up there as one of the best chocolate cakes I have had. I asked the owner, Linda Barker, for the recipe and she told me it was available online. I think it must be this one here: http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/10198/chocolate-and-beetroot-cake.aspx. She did say that she used very good quality chocolate to make it with.

I suggested to her that The Flying Nun could publish a book of recipes. I am sure it would sell well to her customers - and I would be happy to compile it for her! J

It is a shame The Flying Nun is so far away from where I live, otherwise I would visit a lot more often. It has the perfect vibe, great food, friendly staff. All good!