Monday, December 6, 2010

Mango and coconut icecream

Mangoes are so plentiful at the moment that you can pick up a case in Queensland from the markets for as little as $10. Perhaps the quality isn't so good, but I recently got some great ones for $12 but they did have to be eaten within a few days. So we made some icecream using an old machine given to me by my mother. I couldn't find a recipe that I liked so I made one up. And very successful it was too, it tasted rather like one of those Weis bars. Here it is:

Mangoes and cream ice cream
  • 4 mangoes flesh only (I used quite large Kensington Prides)
  • 1 1/3 cup of caster sugar
  • 400ml can of coconut cream
  • 250ml milk
  • 300ml thickened cream
1. Place all ingredients except for cream in a blender jug and whizz until smooth. Stir in cream.
2. Place in an ice cream maker and churn for about 25 minutes. If you like soft serve dispense from then. If you want a scoopable ice cream, using a spatula scoop out and put in the freezer to freeze a bit further.
3. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the mixture overnight (I stirred several times during the freezing process - I had too much mixture for the ice cream maker so some went in to the freezer separately. You'll need to let it soften before serving.

Definitely My cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment