Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Learning, always learning ...

It has been an interesting, busy couple of weeks getting started at university doing my post-grad studies (in writing, editing and publishing) and really getting my freelance work underway. I have put up a website for my new venture at http://www.write-now.com.au/ and it already seems to be paying dividends. Hooray for that!

I have been doing some very different editing to that which I am used to, with different style guides and different audiences in mind. I have learned so much already and I am really loving it.

One of my courses this semester is an elective. For this I have managed to get myself an internship helping out with the SHARP conference that will be running in Brisbane in April. SHARP stands for the Society for the History of Authorship, Reading and Publishing. The conference site is here: http://uqsharp2011.squarespace.com/.

At the moment I am working my way through the abstracts and giving them a bit of a tidy up prior to going to publication. I must admit to just about salivating at the papers that are going to be delivered: some of the material is simply fascinating. I shall have a problem deciding which one to pick to write an essay on at the end!

I have been using the Chicago Manual of Style for this which is online: I have signed up for a 30-day free trial and it is a brilliant resource. I must have half-a-dozen style guides on my book shelves at least but not this particular one. I had better subscribe I think! And I do like using it online instead of dragging dusty tomes down from the shelf every five minutes.

Other than that I have a new book coming in this week to edit - economics!

Better get organised and head off to class!